Thursday, November 01, 2007

I bet you thought I was already out

Hey, NaBloPoMo doesn't say WHEN during the day you have to post, so here I am, fashionably late and not terribly inspiring. Do you want to know why I am not inspired? Probably not, but I am going to tell you anyway. Because I know you will just walk away from the screen when you are done reading my ramble so I don't feel guilty about burdening you, and yet I won't know that you walked away and therefore my feelings won't get hurt. That is why I love blogging in a nutshell.

Anyway, I am not inspired because we have spent the day coming down from the excitement of the past few days and it just was not at all pretty. I actually came very close to spreading out the kids' treat bags and telling them to eat as much as they wanted just to end the horrific begging for candy that has been happening. Last year we had a one candy a day rule and that went over fine for about a week, at which point they forgot about the candy and it all went into my secret stash.

This year, A went to bed begging for candy, woke up at 3am begging for candy, and never went back to sleep after that. Which should give you an idea of just how my day went. C was OK with the one candy a day thing until he listened to his sister begging every thirty seconds, and then he felt obliged to jump in and join the fun. On the upside, this was not the year in which the kids figured out that trick-or-treating is not restricted to the houses of people we know in a one block radius so the amount of candy they have is pretty minimal. But still, I think the parents who let their kids eat it all in one fell swoop and just deal with the sick children for an evening might be onto something...

Anyway, much fun was had by the younger set yesterday. And Snow White was much revered by all of the seven and under girls at the elementary school, yet sneered at by the eight and up set. So now I have a general idea when to expect the eye-rolling at grownup antics to begin. I also have decided to petition to have the kindergarten teacher declared some sort of saint, because by the end of my two hours there I felt like a mac truck had run over me and she was rip roaring ready to repeat the whole day over again for the afternoon session. I seriously want to bottle up her energy and market it.

On a totally different note, I am about to embark on a new program I am going to call "The Knitting Diet." Because I still really need to lose the rest of that baby weight (and don't even TRY to tell me that my baby is three and it is therefore no longer baby weight, as it is. I swear.). Why the knitting diet? Well, I have discovered that 90% of my "extra" calories are consumed in the evening after the kids are in bed. But the nights I sit and knit, I only make it through half a glass of wine and a chocolate kiss or two. So from now on when I feel the urge to whip out the chocolate chip cookies or whatever looked particularly tempting at Trader Joe's that week, I am going to sit down and knit a few rows. If nothing else, I should get a jump start on my holiday gift making.

And that folks, is about all I have in me for the evening. So I am going to go find my knitting and pour myself that glass of wine and see what's on TIVO. Stay tuned tomorrow for some knitting pictures, if I can remember to charge my camera battery.