Sunday, September 16, 2007

Go-To Recipes

So after the lasagna disaster yesterday, today I fell back on my old reliable, quiche. And as I was whipping it up, I decided to share it with you. It came from Rebecca originally, and then I doctored it as a I have a tendency to do. So I'll give you both versions, because I'm nice like that.

Rebecca's Spinach Quiche

4 Eggs (I use 2 eggs and 1/2 a cup of egg substitute
1/2 cup mayo (I use low-fat or no-fat)
1/2 cup milk (I use skim)
10 oz frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry (I use the 16 oz bag from Trader Joes)
8 oz shredded cheddar cheese (I use a 12 oz bag of light three cheese from TJ's)
1 onion chopped (I never include this but Rebecca swears by it)
1 ready-made pie crust (I make it crustless, just to save calories, but it IS quite good with the crust)

Mix everything together. Pour into pie crust (or pie pan sprayed with cooking spray if omitting crust). Cover with foil. Bake at 400 for 60 minutes, remove foil for last 15 minutes, if you remember.

My other go-to recipe is a Quick Shrimp Broil, adapted from a Weight Watchers recipe.

Quick Shrimp Broil
Olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced (or two tablespoons of the already minced stuff from the store)
12 oz shrimp (I use a bag of the frozen TJ's, thawed)
1 can diced tomatoes (I used either the fire-roasted or the Italian-seasoned one)
1/2 cup white wine
Shredded Mexican blend cheese (or any kind of shredded cheese, I just tend to like a blend)

In a medium skillet heat the oil (I do a turn around the pan) and then add the garlic. Saute for about 1 minute. Add the shrimp and tomato, cook until the shrimp are done (5 minutes or so). Stir in the wine and cook for another minute or two. Remove from heat and transfer into a baking dish if your skillet can't go in the oven. Sprinkle with cheese and broil until the cheese is melted and just turning golden-brown, about 3 minutes.

Once I whip out the crockpot for the winter I'll share my all time favorite crockpot recipe as well...