Tuesday, December 19, 2006

An open letter of apology

To the 20+ patrons of our local post office:

I sincerely apologize for the agony that must have been your visit this afternoon. I thought that 2pm would be the best time to visit the post office with two small children in tow during the holiday season, clearly I was wrong. I know, I know, I should have mailed my packages last week. Or the week before. Or even yesterday when my son was at school. But I didn't. And since you were all standing there too, clearly I was not the only one who had not planned ahead well. But I digress.

I apologize for the never-ending game of 20 questions that had many of you scratching your head looking for the "Round/Square/Green/Blue/High/Low" thing that didn't actually exist. We are still working on the fundamentals of the game, including the fact that that the object actually has to be in view, and that it has to be real, not an item such as "A dragon split in two!"

I apologize for the temper tantrum that you were witness to when my son pushed his sister off of the chair they were sharing and lost his TV privileges for the day as a consequence, but I had been waiting for 30 minutes already, I was next in line, and I just. couldn't. leave at that point.

I would like to extend a special apology to the woman who found herself attacked by a flying purple coat that had been deemed "too hot" and the man who found himself the center of a game of tag. I would also like to apologize to the postal workers who were serenaded through the mail slot to a very off-key rendition of "Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer." And I would also like to thank the aforementioned postal workers for filling in the missing words. It resulted in a good thirty seconds of silence that was appreciated by all.

In closing, I am very very very very very very sorry. But Great-Grammy needed her pictures and calendar before Christmas Day. And Grandpa needed his new book to read during his glorious week off.

I wish you all the very best this holiday season, and solemnly swear to try and tackle the post office by myself next year.

Best,

Chichimama