Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Not an auspicious beginning

Well, last night I did indeed make the Indian curry (recipe will be emailed to those who asked for it). And it would have been rather good, if my new crockpot had in fact functioned appropriately. I popped the food in at 9 am, headed off to start our day fully expecting that I would come home to the smell of dinner wafting through the house. Instead, I returned home to the smell of burning potatoes. Apparently, the new "high-tech" crockpot I asked for for my birthday last year doesn't actually operate like a "normal" crockpot, or so customer service told me. It heats food really, really quickly, and then reduces the temperature. But sometimes the thermostat is "a little temperamental" so I really need to check on it every so often. Umm, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the point of the crockpot that I don't actually have to be paying attention while my food cooks? Needless to say, I'll be returning to the "turn the dial to low and forget it" model for future culinary adventures.

M was a great sport and ate it, but the leftovers were not saved for lunch. But I did have all the ingredients! I did! And dinner was on the table at the right time, even if it wasn't quite edible. That has to count for something, right? Right?