Wednesday, September 20, 2006

M is such a good sport

So today's culinary misadventures are a result of chef error rather than equipment malfunction. Apparently, Cod Poached in a Spicy Tomato Broth is spicy enough without doubling the amount of spice in the recipe. Just in case anyone other than the Kleenex box was wondering. In my defense (because one must be defensive about such things) M and I generally think that recipes require much more seasoning than called for. And I was using a crushed red pepper that I had found in the depths of my cabinet and I swear must have been there for four years. So my assumption was that it was not nearly as potent as a newly acquired spice would have been.

M: "Wow, it has a bit of a kick to it." Then "This is spicy, my pallet is clearly out of practice." Finally "I get a home-cooked meal AND clear sinuses without taking my allergy meds. Two for the price of one." He every bite, bless his heart.

So, for the record, Cod Poached in a Spicy Tomato Broth=Good, but don't tamper with the seasonings. Just don't.