Saturday, August 05, 2006

Can a out of the technology loop mommy learn new tricks?

So Rebecca and I tried out some IMing (is it called that these days?) to see if it would suffice as our daily form of contact, seeing as international phone-a-thons to England would max out our budgets in no time flat. And I discovered after the fact that transcripts of the chats are kept (Remember that! Nothing goes into cyberspace unrecorded...). So, here, for your amusement, is the transcript of our first IM chat.


I feel old. Very old. How do kids do this and text messaging? Do ya think I will get used to it?

_______________________________________________________

Rebecca: hello? are you there? what the hell is this green dot they're talking about?

me: I dunno. I am finding Google Talk rather confusing myself...

Rebecca: oh. found green dot. duh. still confused, though.

me: Where is it? Oh, wait. There.

Rebecca: can I not enlarge this window? so annoying

me: I can't find a way to enlarge it. Should we keep shopping services?

Rebecca: on the up side, this is every bit as linear as chatting while trying to control screaming children (and I can scroll back up to see what I missed when someone loses it)

me: Not quite as satisfying as a chat on the phone but I am sure I will get used to it.

Rebecca: People seem to love MSN... and is IM a generic term or a specific service? I don't even know. I am feeling quite old right now.

I think it's going to be harder to multitask while IMing...

me: I am feeling very old. IM is through AOL. That's what B and I used to use. I don't remember having issues, but I was younger and hipper.

It will be more difficult to multi task.

Rebecca: how many holes are they playing exactly?

me: Yeah, I'm tied down to the computer and my kids just dumped water all over the floor.

I would guess 10 holes, 9 + the bar...

me: Hey, it told me you were typing

that was cool

Rebecca: yes, I did notice that.

me: I do like the fact it just adds on as I type if you haven't answered.

Like this! Fun

Rebecca: oooh. ok, this could work. try opening another window above this and watch...

I can interrupt you!

Did you see?

Uh.... hello? :)