Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Blocked

I have a lot I want to write about, but seem to have trouble getting the words out these days. You should see the litter of unfinished posts in my Blogger dashboard. I'm not sure whether I am just being a perfectionist (I doubt it) or whether I'm just scattered (much more likely) but regardless, there is a lot out there that I haven't shared.

Like the post about divorce. A casual acquaintance is getting divorced, and it seems so odd to me. Which, given the fact that my parents are divorced, is odd in of itself. But she is the first contemporary I know who is getting divorced, and it make me step back and realize that at my age my parents were in the midst of their marital woes. And it makes me wonder who else will eventually get divorced, as I'm sure it will happen.

Or there is the post about religion. You see, I was baptized Easter weekend, and the whole experience has been weighing on me. Not necessarily in a bad way, but more in a "how did I get here" way. I don't believe or disbelieve in God any more than I did when I was in college and spent hours arguing with my Catholic best friend about how Jesus had to be an oops baby, but yet here I am able to take communion and all of a sudden belonging where I never belonged before. Just because of a little water.

While we are on the topic of my Catholic best friend, there is a post going about her too. We had a falling out right after I got married, and it has been years since I have seen or spoken to her. But I still miss her, and often wonder what she is doing, or how she would advise me in a given situation. A close friend of both of ours is getting married in June, and I am so hopeful that she will be at the wedding. But yet I have been afraid to ask.

So you see, I am in fact having thoughts beyond the weather, and my daughter's sleep issues, and my apparent lack of qualifications to join the PTA. And someday, you just might hear those thoughts. But for now, you get to hear that A now sings Happy Birthday to everyone she knows before falling asleep. Thankfully she is a second child so she actually doesn't have that many friends yet. And if your birthday is coming up, drop me a line and I can get her to sing to you too...