Friday, January 06, 2006

I Forget

When my kids are sick I always forget how remarkable they are when they aren't sick. The descent into sickness is generally slow, the first day a little crankiness, the second crankiness and clinginess, the third crankiness, clinginess, and lethargy, and so on. As a result, I tend to think that they way they act when sick is the norm, not a result of their not feeling quite themselves.

The past few days have been the first days that both kids have been healthy in a long, long time. No cough, no runny nose, no fever, no nothing. And they were a joy to be around (well, until the disastrous playdate, but that was not entirely C's fault). They both "slept in," A until 6:30 and C until almost 8. No one woke up in the middle of the night. Everyone napped or had quiet time without protest. When I announced we didn't have mac and cheese in the house, the temper tantrum was minimal, and easily ended by the peace offering of tofu stir fry. They played elaborate pretend games together while I sat and knit and occasionally offered up suggestions like "If you are going for a walk with the stroller I think you need a baby and some toys for her..." Everyone snuggled and kissed and told me they loved me.

I took them out to lunch and no one cried, everyone ate, and we had a lovely time grooving to the salsa music playing. I was able to try on some jeans, check out the sales downtown, and we even took a walk around the town pond. I should have pushed my luck and headed to the grocery store, but I think that would have ruined the mood.

I know that if I kept them away from others indefinitely that the feeling good honeymoon would be replaced by trapped inside alone boredom, but the temptation is great to not take them anyplace to try and keep them healthy. Do you think they would look odd walking around in hospital masks and gloves?