Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Guilty Pleasures

For the first time in several months I am actually reading a book that has captured my interest, Garlic and Sapphires by Ruth Reichl, a former NYT food critic. It is well written, funny, and makes my mouth water. Everytime I read a book like this I wish I had a more discerning palette as I think my dream job just might be a food or wine writer. But I can't pick out the flavors well enough to even consider such a career so I read the works of others and drool.

I was so engrossed this afternoon that when C self-released himself from quiet time early that I not only indulged him, I offered up a full hour of TV so I could keep reading. While I felt rather guilty about this bribe, it was well worth it. C was a bit perplexed as to why I would choose to read rather than follow the exploits of Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends, but when his show was over he came and snuggled next to me in the chair with his book. He then pretended to read for a full thirty seconds before shoving my book aside and replacing it with his. But for those thirty seconds, I had a brief glimpse of what life might be like many years from now when everyone can read all by themselves. I can't wait.