Friday, December 15, 2006

Turkey smirky

All of this knitting and preparing for Christmas so I don't stress out the week before is just stressing me out two weeks before. I'm just saying. But I think I finally have a menu for Christmas, despite an ongoing battle between M and me* over the need for a turkey on major holidays. Thanksgiving, OK. But Christmas? Not so necessary. Especially since in the eight(?) years we have been throwing at least one holiday, we have yet to successfully cook a turkey. I kid you not. It is always raw when we take it out, even despite adding an hour or two onto the cooking time to try and compensate. I have no fricking idea why.

Quite honestly, I don't even LIKE turkey. I also don't like turkey soup, or any of the things that you use turkey left overs for. At least with a ham I could make casseroles and such. Sigh. The things I do for love. So back to original point to this post...ah yes, the menu.

Herb and Garlic Roasted Turkey
Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Stuffing
Green Bean Casserole (this holiday is all about M's childhood favorites this year...)
Pumpkin Pie
Apple Pie
Homemade rolls of some kind

Now I have to figure out whether I am going to make something separate for the kids, as neither of them will touch anything on this menu except for the pies, rolls, and maybe the green beans, or whether I throw up my hands and decided that a day of starch and sugar isn't going to kill them.

I'm also debating a roasted root vegetable casserole as my mom and I would both love that, but we aren't really having THAT many people over, so it sort of seems like overkill. Decisions, decisions.

*Is "I" or "me" correct here? I went back and forth for about ten minutes before going with "me" as my gut was telling me.... I know I have some editors out there (cough, cough, Suzanne, cough cough Phantom) who probably cringe at all of my grammar mistakes and typos...so look! I do sometimes proofread and ask for help! Not frequently, but sometimes...