Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Apparently spelling is hereditary too

I have a spelling issue. Which anyone who has read my comments/emails/posts without a spell check readily available knows. I believe (and Nana will correct me if I am wrong) it was determined very late in the game that I had mild dyslexia, but had compensated enough that it wasn't worth doing anything about except insist that I type all of my papers and have spell check available at all times.

Over the past several weeks, C has proudly shown me his writing. Which is perfect, except that it is backwards. In that if you held a mirror up to it, it would read perfectly correctly. I can't replicate here, but imagine that "baby" was spelled "ybab" with the letters facing the opposite direction. The first time I shrugged it off. The second time, I was ready to race him off to whoever you race off to if you suspect a learning disability. At age 4 (and a half as C would say.) Really, I'm not that type of parent, but I suffered through this, and want to nip it in the bud if I can to save him the suffering I experienced until I got my own computer.

So do I freak out at this point? Am I over-reacting?

Just for kicks, once I spell check this, I will tell you how many errors I had in this short little post. And the answer is...twenty-three. I had twenty-three spelling errors. And that isn't even counting the ones I caught with a quick once over.