Sunday, September 09, 2007

Bullets of Books

  • The Scholastic book flyers sent home by elementary schools are dangerous things. I'm just saying.
  • I am really hoping there is a lot of repetition from month to month, or else M might have to put me on a book budget again.
  • But how can one turn down The Best Book of Space Ships and The Best Book of Weather bundle pack? Or the Let's Read and Find Out science pack. C did a little jig in the kitchen when I showed him what I had ordered. I may have even gotten a hug and a kiss too.
  • I actually heard a woman in the drop off line last week complaining about the request that parents read with their children 15 minutes a day. She called it "Painful" and "mind-numbing."
  • I am mind boggled that there are people out there who don't read at least 15 minutes a day with their kids.
  • I mean, I know they exist, but I really didn't think that I actually KNEW and LIKED someone who didn't read with their kids.
  • I start trying to find other activities around the one or two hour mark, and that's only if we've been reading the same. two. books. over and over again.
  • Although with all the reading I have been doing with the kids, I haven't picked up a book of my own since we got back from Maine.
  • It doesn't help that the library is closed for the forseeable future for renovations.
  • Storytime at the book store is almost as dangerous as the Scholastic flyers.
  • Although at least I can't justify my spending by the "your child's classroom will earn free books!" line. I wonder just how many books I have to buy for the classroom to get one book...
  • Have you read any good books lately? Nothing too heavy or long. A good read a chapter or two while waiting in the preschool parking lot type of book.
  • Did I mention I was running the fall book fair at A's school this year? M will be horrified, the last time I ran the book fair I spent a good part of the month's budget on books.
  • How can someone not love books?