Thursday, August 10, 2006

Double Gah

This is my 500th post. I was planning on throwing myself a little blog party, but instead I am bowing to the Gods of childhood illnesses, as that fever of A's I thought was gone? Yeah. Not so much.

So here I am on vacation with a feverish child who exhibits no symptoms other than a fever that seems to randomly come and go according to its own whims and wishes. As I chatted with my new best friend, the on-call nurse at my pediatrician's office, I found myself saying over and over again "Nope, no symptoms. Eating, sleeping, drinking, peeing, pooping, playing, dancing, laughing." And she kept saying "Nothing? No ear tugging? No tummy ache? Nothing?" Yep, nothing except the damn fever.

It took a while to convince my new best friend that I was not in fact driving BACK seven+ hours to visit her, as nice as she was on the phone. She finally understood that I was ON VACATION. WITH FEVERISH, SYMPTOMLESS CHILD. And we decided that I should watch A for another day, or maybe two, and then find a random doctor to check her ears. Or something.

I should just stop planning vacations, or major holidays, or parties, as it never fails that one child or another manages to come down with something. Hey, do you suppose I could use that as an excuse not to attend my cousin's wedding in October? "I'm so sorry, we will not be able to attend. As I guarantee that one of my kids will be ill, so why don't I just save you the money for our dinners and write you a lovely check?" I'm going to have to sleep on that one. It might just be my get out of jail free card.

A housekeeping note: my connection is rather slow up here so I probably won't be around to visit much, but will stop by when I can and catch up in some fashion when I get back.