Friday, May 05, 2006

Overheard at bedtime

C: "Mommy, I think we need to have a little talk."

Mommy: "OK, what do we need to talk about?"

C: "We need to have a little talk about my behavior at playgroup this afternoon."

Mommy: "Ok, what do you want to say?"

C: I think you should go first."

Mommy: "When I told you no more snacks because it was dinnertime and we were leaving, and then you shoved food into your mouth and yelled at me, it made me mad. Snacks are lovely and yummy, but not necessarily healthy and good for us like dinner. And when I tell you not to do something, I expect you to listen to me."

C: "I'm sorry. I was mad at you."

Mommy: "I know you were. I was mad at you too. You weren't listening very well."

C: "You weren't listening to me either."

Mommy: "I was listening to you C, but sometimes I can't let you do what you want to do. Sometimes it is my job to say no."

C: "Sometimes it is my job to disobey you."

Mommy: (stifling a laugh): "I suppose you could look at it that way, but did you have a good time this afternoon?"

C: "No, not really."

Mommy: "Me neither. Maybe next time we could talk like this instead of yelling."

C (doubtful): "I suppose, but I think we will probably yell. But even when I yell at you, I love you."

Mommy: "I love you too C."

C: "Tomorrow, I will try to listen better. I think we're done with our talk now. Can we read my book?"