Monday, January 23, 2006

It's back to reality

It’s back to reality, middle of the night wake ups and all. I had a wonderful time at my sister’s, even though my internal alarm clock now seems to be permanently set at a ridiculously early hour and I didn’t get as much sleep as I had hoped. But I still got much more sleep than I would have gotten at home, so I really can’t complain.

Spending time with Baby C without having to run around after my own kids was a joy. She is such an easygoing child, and I’m afraid I spent the whole weekend telling my sister “This is just amazing! You mean she plays independently, goes to sleep when you put her in her crib AND sleeps through the night without a peep? I just can’t believe that such things are possible!” I clearly need to take parenting lessons from my sister and her husband. And hopefully when Baby C comes to visit next month she won’t pick up my kids bad habits….

I was also inspired to buy myself new socks. And underwear! In bright colors! It feels rather decedent. C and A also received some new clothes for next winter, as surprise surprise, wool sweaters are not a very hot commodity in Texas so I was able to pick up several for virtually free. Auntie M and her husband also got a babysitter one night and the three of us went out to a delicious dinner.

M seems to have survived the weekend intact, although I don’t think we are going to see him for the next week or two, as he didn’t even get a chance to start the work he was planning on doing. It’s amazing how much time it takes to chase two kids around. And M didn’t get his convertible; A was up at 2 and 4 am last night.

While I got some lovely hugs from C upon my return, A didn’t even seem to notice that I had been gone. And while I am glad to be home and back into my normal life and it was great to see the kids again, I have to admit that I did not miss them nearly as much as I thought I would while I was gone. I could have stayed away a bit longer without a problem.

Anyway, that’s the boring, not so detailed, update as everyone is clamoring for “special” breakfast and requesting mommy participation this morning instead of engaging in independent play.